Transferring Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits to Dependents

Active-duty service members can now transfer education benefits of the Post-9/11 GI Bill to spouses and their children. This allows spouses and children of active service members to use generous military education benefits towards their own college expenses. Service members who want to transfer their GI Bill benefits must have served at least six years and commit to another four years of service, although there are specific exceptions for those nearing retirement age.

To whom may my benefits be transferred?

Benefits may be transferred to the service member's spouse, one or more of the service member's children, or a combination of both.

What portion of my benefits can be transferred?

The service member can transfer as much as 100% of unused benefits, which equals 36 months of benefits.

What education benefits will my dependents receive?

Benefits are the same as what the service member would receive under the Post-9/11 GI Bill, with these exceptions:

  • An eligible spouse will not receive the monthly housing allowance or the books-and-supplies stipend while the service member is on active duty.
  • An eligible child will receive the monthly housing allowance and the books-and-supplies stipend even if the service member is on active duty.

To transfer benefits, visit the Department of Defense's transferability application website and determine if your dependents are eligible. This site is only available to military members. Once approved, family members may apply to use transferred benefits with the Veterans Administration by completing VA Form 22-1990e.

Learn more about transferring benefits.

Learn more about other aspects of the Post-9/11 GI Bill:

My advisor was very patient and helpful. Her excellent service alleviated a lot of my stress. Thank you.
- Stephanie S.
Springfield, VA